Kerry Washington Is A Ujjayi Breathing Expert – Fashion and Lifestyle
When Kerry Washington isn’t in the big screen or sharing dad jokes, she is practicing her breathing techniques.
Washington posted a collage of her practicing Ujjayi breathing on her Instagram. She literally mentions it about fifty leven times. The video makes non yoga fans wonder what the heck is Ujjayi breathing.
The breathing technique has been practiced for thousands of years. Yoga experts from Yoga Space U.K describes it as, Ujjayi (pronounced oo-jai) breath is a form of Pranayama (breath work) and can be translated to “Victorious Breath.” It’s often referred to today as “Oceanic Breath” or “Darth Vader Breath.” Regardless of what you prefer to call it, it can take your yoga practice to the next level. Ujjayi is considered a diaphragmatic breath technique because the qualities of the breath are disciplined by the diaphragm.
There are many different types of breathing techniques used through Yoga and meditation. Ujjayi has it’s benefits. Mind Body Green listed eight reasons to practice.
- Improved concentration in the physical practice. Becoming absorbed in Ujjayi allows the practitioner to remain in poses for longer periods of time.
- Instills endurance that enhances a flowing practice by lending a meditative quality that maintains the rhythm of the class.
- It diminishes distractions and allows the practitioner to remain self aware and grounded in the practice.
- Ujjayi breath regulates heating of the body. The friction of the air passing through the lungs and throat generates internal body heat. It is similar to a massage for the internal organs; as the core becomes warm from the inside, the body becomes prepared for the asana practice. This heat makes stretching safer while the inner organs can be cleansed of any toxins that have accumulated.
- A focused Ujjayi breath can release tension and tight areas of the body.
- Additional benefits of Ujjayi pranayama include diminished pain from headaches, relief of sinus pressure, decrease in phlegm, and strengthening of the nervous and digestive systems.
- Ujjayi tells us when we need to surrender into a resting posture, as the breath should remain as even and smooth in the postures as when we rest. It allows us to practice honesty in our practice, taking a step back to let go of our ego.
- Ujjayi allows us to practice full deep breaths during the challenges of a physical practice. Therefore, we can stay just as equanimous when faced with the challenges of our daily lives.
Check out Kerry Washington in her Ujjayi compilation.